The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed Karnataka to release 6,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu from 21 to 27 September daily. The apex court also directed the Central Government to constitute a Cauvery Management Board within four weeks. That apart, both Tamil Nadu and Karnataka can file objections to the Cauvery Supervisory Committee report in three days.
Senior advocate Fali S Nariman, who is arguing for Karnataka, said: “We will have to sacrifice our drinking water for irrigation purposes in Tamil Nadu.”
Senior advocate Shekhar Naphde, who is arguing on behalf of Tamil Nadu, said: “There is no such crises of drinking water in Bengaluru as Karnataka is claiming.”
The SC order comes just a day after the Cauvery Supervisory Committee, headed by Ministry of Water Resources Secretary Shashi Shekhar had ordered Karnataka to release 3,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu from 21 September to 30 September.
Ahead of the hearing, prohibitory orders were put in place in Mandya’s Sanjay circle in view of last week’s violence.
Karnataka home minister G Parameshwara issued elaborate guidelines for the police to deal with any eventuality and directed them to take precautionary measures to avert possible violence.
Security has been tightened in and around Bengaluru, with 16,000 police personnel, along with para-military forces, monitoring law and order. Security has been tightened at sensitive areas, bus stands and railway stations to prevent violent protests, apart from Attibele check post, with the deployment of a platoon of para-military force.
Earlier in the day, the police held flag marches in the sensitive areas. In many parts of Bengaluru, shops and commercial establishments functioned normally and no untoward incident was reported until 5 p.m., a senior police officer said.