Assam-Meghalaya Border Blockade Eases at Jorabat

Assam transport groups lift blockade for a day as Meghalaya taxi associations protest at Umiam

  • Seven Assam-based transport organisations agreed to withdraw the Jorabat blockade on Sunday.
  • Meghalaya-registered vehicles were allowed to enter Assam after the decision.
  • Meghalaya taxi associations continued protests at Umiam over alleged government inaction.
  • Both states are planning talks to address transport and safety concerns.

GG News Bureau
Shillong, 23rd Aug: Tensions along the Assam-Meghalaya border showed signs of easing on Sunday after seven Assam-based motor, cab and indigenous organisations agreed to withdraw their road blockade at Jorabat for the day and allow Meghalaya-registered private and commercial vehicles to enter Assam.

The decision came amid continuing tensions between transport operators from the two states following recent incidents involving vehicles on both sides of the interstate border.

However, the situation remained tense near Shillong, where members of the All Khasi Meghalaya Tourist Taxi Association (AKMTTA) and the All Shillong Taxi Association gathered at Umiam and stopped vehicles entering from Assam.

The protesting associations alleged that the Meghalaya government had not adequately addressed their concerns arising from the recent tensions between commercial vehicle operators from Assam and Meghalaya.

Association leaders also alleged that transport operators from Meghalaya were being treated unfairly. They pointed to the recent meeting between representatives of the two state governments, claiming that compensation had been discussed for Assam vehicles damaged in Shillong but that similar concerns involving Meghalaya commercial vehicles damaged in Assam had not received comparable attention.

Meanwhile, Meghalaya-registered tourist vehicle operators decided to drop passengers at Jorabat and return to Meghalaya rather than continue into Assam.

The operators have also opposed the entry of Assam-registered vehicles into Meghalaya, citing safety concerns for drivers and passengers following the recent incidents.

Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar said a meeting involving representatives of the Assam government, senior police officials and motor and cab associations is expected to be held to address the concerns.

The Meghalaya government will also convene a high-level meeting with the Transport Commissioners of Assam and Meghalaya by September 10 to discuss long-standing grievances raised by transport associations, particularly difficulties faced by drivers travelling to Guwahati.

Tourist taxi associations from both Assam and Meghalaya will also be invited to the meeting, Dhar said.

For now, the situation at Jorabat remains comparatively calm following the temporary withdrawal of the Assam blockade. However, developments at Borapani are being closely monitored, with Meghalaya Police maintaining a presence in the area.

The immediate priority for authorities on both sides is to prevent further confrontation and restore safe and uninterrupted movement of passengers and vehicles between Assam and Meghalaya.