India Issues Ebola Alert After WHO Emergency Declaration
Government advises Indians to avoid non-essential travel to Congo, Uganda and South Sudan
- WHO declares Ebola outbreak a global health emergency
- Africa CDC issues continental security emergency alert
- India says no Bundibugyo Ebola case detected so far
- Travellers asked to follow strict public health precautions
GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 24th May: World Health Organization has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in parts of Africa a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), prompting the Government of India to issue a fresh travel advisory for Indian citizens.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on Saturday advised Indians to avoid non-essential travel to Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and South Sudan until further notice.
According to the government, the WHO declared the outbreak a global health emergency under the International Health Regulations (IHR), 2005, on May 17, 2026.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has also declared the outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola Virus Disease in Congo and Uganda as a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security (PHECS).
The WHO Emergency Committee on May 22 recommended stronger disease surveillance at airports and international entry points to detect travellers showing unexplained fever symptoms arriving from affected regions.
It also advised against travel to areas where the Bundibugyo virus strain has been detected.
Countries bordering Congo and Uganda, including South Sudan, have been categorised as high-risk zones for disease transmission.
Health officials said Ebola Disease caused by the Bundibugyo virus strain is a severe viral haemorrhagic fever with a high mortality rate.
The government stated that there are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments available for the Bundibugyo strain.
India has not reported any case of Ebola linked to the Bundibugyo strain so far, officials clarified.
Indian citizens currently residing in or travelling to affected countries have been advised to strictly follow public health instructions issued by local authorities and maintain heightened precautions.
The government said it is closely monitoring the evolving international situation in coordination with global health agencies.